Monday 24 March 2014

Challenge Accepted

One of my sisters asked me to make a baby quilt. Not going to go into the reason she wants it, it's a verrry complicated and slightly sad. However, here is the challenging part, she is not a big fan of my scrappyness. In fact, can't see what my baby sister sees in the Strip Twist, came right out and declared she doesn't see the pattern in it. ( which goes a whole lot to explain why she isn't getting it as a 50th birthday present plus she won't admit she turned 50 last year).  In addition to restraining my pallet, she also wanted the baby's name on the quilt.
This is what I have so far.  The name in the centre will be embroidered. Just auditioning a border here. The pattern is from Quiltmaker, one of their Big Blocks Series. I loved the look when I saw it and the light bulb moment happened when I realized I could substitute the 4, 4.5" blocks that came together in the centre with one 8.5" block and then put the name on it. So now I am off to practice my embroidery, not liking the price I was quoted for getting it done by machine at my LQS.

2 comments:

  1. I think the strip twist is fabulous! But I LIKE scrappy quilts. You can send it to me if you want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty baby quilt. All babies are blessings no matter the circumstances-this quilt celebrates a blessing. Nicely done-I like your border that is auditioning.

    ReplyDelete