Thursday, 2 February 2017
A few finishes
Most of my finishes lately have not been of quilts but I have been sewing and getting stuff done. Done is good. Quilts done would be better but there are other things that quilts to make.
First was a teapot cosy. This was a project from the group I joined at the village seniors centre. It is listed as a quilting group but so far the three days that I have attended (only meets monthly, the first Tuesday) the projects have been a wreath; a Santa pillow; and now the tea cozy. They did have a small bit of quilting on the last two. Here’s the cozy.
Another finish was a pair of placemats, using a novelty panoramic fabric that I had bought some time ago.
Then some new covers for the couch cushions. My sister sent me a book on ideas for making things out of shirts and also sent a Facebook link to making these covers. The book and link used both the front and back of the shirts but I had a bunch of fronts that I had saved to make aprons. So I pulled them out and paired them with some of my big novelty nautical fabrics.
The credit for my increased productivity would be the new sewing area in the basement. I’ve gotten two of my machines set up down there. I was just focusing on getting the Janome in place but then while doing the tea cozy, I realized that I need another machine often if I have the Janome set up for quilting, or binding. So I rearranged things so I could set up my Featherweight in her card table.
The ironing board is behind me which means getting up to go iron but that can be a good thing.
Still some work to do on making it an efficient sewing room but it already is proving it's worth it. Most important now is getting my design wall back up. It is scheduled for a repair as the grommets on each end tore out while it was hanging in my bedroom.
Now off to see if I can get some actual UFOs done. There being no shortage of UFOs in stock down there. And to link up with Jo over at the Country Junction