Saturday 6 January 2018

First Week of BOM challenge

YAH ! It’s here. The first week of the challenge and I feel ready to dive in.
First of all, I have to pick a pattern from the 18 left to make. To keep myself from over thinking this, I just open the case and grab one without looking at it. Going totally random here, and what do I get? Flying Geese ! As if I haven’t done a couple hundred of them over the past weeks of Bonnie’s Mystery. Booyah.   Even better, these are 2.5inch geese, yowser, they seem huge.

2018-01-06 12.49.47 The next step is to choose the fabrics.  When I started this, I didn’t want to use the same red all the way through, so I have used two different ones already. And now that I’ve been ordering from Quilted Twins, I have even more choice. I picked up one of their bundles of red back in November.  Just head on over to the shelf, shove my hand in the stack of red and pull one out.  Keeping it random.
The white isn’t so random. The designer said she chose flying geese as a memory of fall in Southern Ontario when the geese flock to fly south.  So I pull a white/on white with small flowers that resemble the fall asters.
And off to the cutting table
2018-01-06 14.28.342018-01-06 15.12.04 A slight hiccup is encountered.

The centre block has the option of some embroidery, the years of the sesquicentennial. ( isn’t that a mouthful but faster than saying 150th birthday) . I trace the numbers with a chalk pencil and hunt up some embroidery supplies.


And that’s where all this progress came to a screeching halt. Three hours later, I surfaced to write this.  Finding the floss and needles didn’t take all that much time. It was sidetracking on cutting for other projects, patching a hole in hubby’s quilted shirt, straightening up shelves that were avalanching fabric all over. And  so on.  But I have the pieces ready to sew and I am now sitting close to a sewing machine. This could happen.
but first to link up with Jo, because this is her idea after all. Jo's BOM Challenge

1 comment:

  1. you are an old pro at flying geese then.I like 2 color quilts a lot.

    ReplyDelete