Saturday 10 March 2018

Bucket List?

A random comment on a Facebook group yesterday set off a day long intense introspection.  Do I have a bucket list of quilts I want to do? Am I doing the quilts I want to make or just reacting to Mysteries and Quilt-A-Longs? What am I quilting for, my pleasure or fulfilling gift request/needs?
No clear answers yet but perhaps a clearer path of action.
I have a list of UFO, quilts I have started and not finished. That should be a priority. There is a lot invested in them by way of fabric, time and effort. A quick flip through my photo files pulled up 26 projects that need a finish. Some just need quilting, some borders,  others more piecing. So time to put some focus on these, before jumping into another.
There are certain quilts I have always wanted to do. Time to make a list of them and instead of participating in quilt a-longs do one of them.  I’m not sure I am ready to give up the mystery quilts but realistically I have hardly used any of the tops I’ve done in those. Most of them are still folded up in a plastic tote.
The  biggest reason for this soul searching is my retirement. I had to make a decision this week to either declare myself retired or go back to work. I haven’t been taking shifts all winter. My husband retired December first and I fell into staying home with him. Despite being classified as a casual employee, I was required to take a shift every three months and my time was up.
What this means in terms of quilting? Being more selective I guess. I have lots of fabric, tons of thread and even a good supply of batting. I should be able to keep myself amused for quite a while using it up.  I will be able to purchase more but until we see how things go as pensioners, time to be frugal and not jump at every sale.
This has been a very wordy post, time to think of a picture to illustrate this. So here’s a collage with a few of the UFOs I found and want to get done.
collage2

1 comment:

  1. A thought-provoking post. I've had some of the same thoughts about where I'm going with my projects, and what I really want to achieve. My list of UFOs is a bit shorter, and I am working on reducing the number over time. All the best with your list, and also for your retirement!

    ReplyDelete