Monday 9 April 2018

Progress on Strings

Finally a  Monday Link UP where I have some strings to show.
Unlike Saturday’s Block of the Month, which got totally sidetracked. So much so, I didn’t even try and post. We had an  unexpected visit from my in-laws that absorbed most of our time and effort in the afternoon. Then my son dropped in for his usual Saturday visit albeit several hours earlier than usual. He has developed a habit of showing up just before midnight, loading up the washing machine, snacking on whatever is to be found and watching TV all night. Ah, feels almost like he still lived here.  Not complaining, mind you, we both like that he is comfortable coming back to hang out here. The point was, he came early enough in the day that we took him out to dinner. And there went any evening sewing.
Sunday more than made up for it.  I got the back for the Checkered Past all together. This was a twin coverlet I had found with a ruffle around three sides. Once I took it all apart, there was a lot of fabric, but most in narrow strips. So I combined them with a black and white and came up with something big enough.
2018-04-09 11.24.19



At the same time, I finished up the last strip of the giant bargello that I had originally considered for a back. Now intending to showcase it as a front in it’s own quilt.

2018-04-09 11.22.43Just have to find a back for it. Oh wait, that sounds so familiar, isn’t that how I wound up working on this?



And, having gotten hooked on the bargello pattern again, I worked on another strip in the baby rainbow bargello. These are taking time as I carefully select each fabric to eliminate duplicating one in the next row. So a fabric may repeat but not in the very next stairstep. Just a touch nit-picky but I think it makes the finished product look scrappy and not matchy.

2018-04-09 11.31.04And some of you might have picked up on the detail that this bargello only has four steps before the change.
A mistake in math and cutting on the first strip. Some how I got it in my head that 10 inches would give me five sub-cuts. And it would it they were 2 inch and not 2.5 inch. So in the time honoured tradition of " just go with it", I carried on doing 4 sub-cuts.

I know, by now you are saying “ where are the strings? None of these are strings “


I pulled out the bright SpiderWeb project Sunday afternoon and cut some more kite shapes for it.  And by bedtime, I had enough for 12 blocks. So today I am going to sew the 12 blocks together and see now it all looks.

Ta da ! Strings2018-04-09 11.15.39

1 comment:

  1. I like your attitude - Just go with it. Nice job on all your WIP. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete