Monday 16 April 2018

Update to String Challenge

Looking back on last week’s post I see I was about to sew together all the string blocks I had made.  Did so and found I had 11 3/4 blocks. Looking at them laid out, it did not seem to be enough to call it finished, leaving aside for a moment the last 1/4 that needed to be done. So back to the cutting table for more grey kites.
2018-04-16 14.36.53 These are being made with the Missouri Star Wacky Web papers. I picked up a pack of them during a close out sale at one of my local fabric stores. I thought I could cut the kite shape using Bonnie’s directions but it didn’t quite work, so broke down and bought the kite template from Missouri Star. Depending on the time this package was made, there are either 250 or 100 papers in the pack, either amount is more than I need or will be able to get out of this length of grey fabric.  My goal at the moment is a 4 X 5 setting for which I need 20 blocks of 4 subunits. That should keep me busy for a while.
And if that wasn’t enough, there is the Checkered Past quilt to work on. I sandwiched it and machine quilted along the sashing. Now I am hand quilting inside the blocks. The effect I wanted just wasn’t possible with machine quilting. Well, I didn’t think it was possible without a lot of wrestling with the quilt top and a whole lot of starts and stops. Not what I call fun. Inspired by the hand quilting I was doing last month I decided to do what I wanted by hand quilting.
2018-04-16 14.37.132018-04-16 14.37.56





Basically just a cross hatching of the checkerboard and outline quilting around the pocket and the edge of the pocket square.  One and a half done out of the 20, lots of quality book listening time ahead.
And that’s it for here this week, other than the ice storm over the weekend that has now turned to rain. Puddles every where. Ah spring.
Linking up with Jo’s String challenge to see what everyone over there is up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment